Saturday, 3 September 2011

Fact or Fiction: Doctors are cool and hip

You know those doctors you see on TV or in films? The ones the girls are always trying to catch because they’re handsome….and rich….and cool? Well, I’m here to tell you the truth.

Doctors are nerds.

Especially mine.

I know plenty of doctors. And deep down? They’re all nerds. Oh, they may appear hip at first. But get to know them a little better and you’ll soon find that your nerd-alert radar has started beeping at a high frequency.

This nerdiness is most recently apparent in the form of a phenomenon occurring in my husband. He seems to have lost his filters. You know those filters that tell you when someone has lost interest in your conversation, or when you might be talking over their head? Virtually non-existent in my husband.


It wasn’t always this way. It used to be that he could tell me about his day and I would understand everything he was saying. In fact, sometimes I used words that he didn’t know. The further he advances in his medical career however, the less I comprehend what is coming out of his mouth. What is worse is that he doesn’t realize that he is no longer speaking normal, everyday language. It’s those non-existent filters. Lately, a frequent conversation goes something like this:

Me: “What did you do today”
the Doctor: “Oh, we had this patient with (insert long latin medical term) and so we had to (insert 
obscure name for medical procedure)”
Me: “Um, was I supposed to understand that??”
the Doctor: “Really? Everyone knows what (insert medical word no one knows) is!”

No they don’t.

And sometimes, I do understand what he’s saying, but it’s uttered in such a nerdy fashion that I have to do a double-take to see if he’s joking.

He’s not.

One of my favourite examples is this:
the Doctor (while feeding our daughter dinner): “HELP! Bilateral hand soiling!!”
Apparently she had gotten both (bilateral) hands in her bowl of food (they were evidently soiled).

Who talks like that?

Nerds do.

Don’t worry everyone. I have made it personal mission to try and pull my hubby from the depths of his nerdiness and to incessantly constantly frequently remind him how it is that normal people speak.

So if the next time you’re having a conversation with my husband you can’t understand what he’s saying. Please, just tell him. He’s not talking over your head on purpose.

He’s just a big nerd.



trying not to let the nerdiness rub off on me...